Check Ups in La Grange Park & Brookfield, IL
Regular dental check-ups are a must for maintaining good oral health. Dental check-ups are non-invasive and are not painful, so there is no reason to avoid them. Here are some important facts about dental check-ups:
Dental Check-Ups – What to Expect
- Your first dental check-up involves a discussion about your medical and dental history so that the doctor is fully informed.
- The next step is typically dental x-rays, which reveal any dental problems that are not easily visible. The doctor will also perform a hands-on examination to evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums.
- Following the examination, the dentist will go over the results with you and decide next steps if any are needed. If there are multiple dental procedures needed, a treatment plan will be created for you. A professional dental cleaning may also be recommended to remove plaque and tartar build-up.
- The last phase of the check-up involves a series of recommendations to improve your oral health. Instructions about proper brushing and flossing are common, especially when the existing routine is not satisfying.
- During the subsequent check-ups, the dentist may not go through all the steps mentioned above, since they already have a medical record of your health conditions. Instead, they will check the problem areas to record their progress. Also, they will provide you feedback on the way you implemented their recommendations and suggest further improvements or changes in the daily dental care routine.
How often should you go to the dentist?
Dental check-ups are best done every six months. Six months is the average time span between two check-ups, but depending on your dental health we may increase or decrease the number of annual check-ups. For example, if your teeth and gums are in good condition, and there is no significant plaque build-up in-between visits the dentist may agree to one annual check-up.
Visit Ogden Family Dentistry for dental check-ups to save yourself the pain of infections or other serious problems. If you would like to schedule an appointment for your dental check-up in La Grange & Brookfield call our office today!